Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Halloween


For this holiday blog post, I decided to look for an article about Halloween because it is my favorite holiday. I found an article on the New York Times website titled In True Halloween Spirit, Nighttime Festivities Returns and it was written by the associated press. This article talks about the banning of trick-or-treating after dark in Oil City, PA. This fun activity was banned because in 1992, a young girl was abducted and murdered just days before Halloween. In this last year, an elementary school student helped bring it back after gathering signatures on her petition and admitting an argument to the city council. I think that Halloween is a really fun time to go around your neighborhood after dark all dressed up although I agree it could be dangerous. It makes me sad to hear about the story of the young girl who was killed right around the holiday but I think it is very important for young kids to be with an adult at night. Trick or treating is a great tradition and I personally think all schools should have November 1 off. 

"In True Halloween Spirit, Nighttime Festivites Returned." The New York Times. 29 Oct. 2008. .

No comments: